Complaints and Grievances Procedure

Any current or prospective student who has a complaint or grievance should address complaints or grievances to the Vice President for Student Affairs by phone at (214) 333-6812; by email at; or in office at the main campus (Sadler Global Missions Center, 2nd Floor). If a complaint is not satisfactorily resolved internally by the University, the student may then file a complaint with the appropriate regulatory agency in the state where he or she is receiving instruction and/or the institution's accrediting agency.