Financial Aid FAQs

DBU School Code for filing the FAFSA is: 003560
This is used to inform the Department of Education which college/university you are interested in attending and where you want your FAFSA information sent.

To apply for financial aid at DBU, applicants must complete the following steps:

  • Obtain a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) from the U.S. Department of Education at If you are a dependent student, one parent will also need an FSA ID.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form as soon as possible after October 1 of each year. This application is available both online at or via a mobile application. The myStudentAid mobile app is available from the Apple App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android). When completing the current year FAFSA you will be using income data from the prior-prior (2 years before the fall attendance year). You should plan to use the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to populate the income data from the IRS. Students complete their portion then (if the student is dependent status) parents complete their portion.
  • Complete our own DBU Supplemental Application for Financial Aid. This is an annual application and must be submitted annually by every financial aid applicant to be considered for aid in a coming academic awarding year.

In general, all application materials should be fully completed no later than 30 days before Advance Registration begins. Otherwise, the student will be expected to make payment arrangements with the Cashier's Office using personal resources at the time of registration. Late aid applications will be processed after registration for aid as it becomes available. Each scholarship program has an individual deadline that must be met in order to be considered for an award from that particular scholarship program.

The Priority Date for a completed financial aid file that will ensure the student access to Maximum Federal and/or State financial aid funds is March 15.

Note about Dependent or Independent Status

A student is NOT considered an independent student just because parents have not included them on their own income tax filing, if parents provide little support, or if a student will be paying for all expenses. The information below will list what constitutes an independent student. If these do not fit your situation, you will need to file with your parents' information and signature.

To be considered an independent student is one who is at least 24 years of age by January 1, of the award year. A student who has not attained this age is also considered to be independent if he/she:

  • is married;
  • is a graduate (master) level or above, or professional student;
  • applies for and is approved for a dependency override;
  • is not married, but has legal dependents--as defined by Federal regulations;
  • is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, or currently serving on active duty for purposes other than training; or
  • is an orphan, in foster care, an emancipated minor, homeless youth, or a ward of the court (documentation required for confirmation).

Learn about Dependent or Independent Status >>

If still in doubt, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 214-333-5363 or

The Office of Financial Aid attempts to award aid each year consistent with the student's prior year awards. As long as funds are available and provided the student continues to meet the eligibility requirements of each aid program likely posted aid will reflect previous aid.

To renew aid in a new semester/term follow the steps below:

  • Complete the DBU Supplemental Application for Financial Aid and submit to the Office of Financial Aid by the March 15 priority date. This will enable a student to be considered for maximum eligible aid.
  • Complete the FAFSA as early in the calendar year, before the new term, as possible.

For most aid programs the financial aid year begins in the Fall (header term/semester) and ends with the Spring term. For DBU, Summer is a trailer (ending term/semester) and concludes the year. It requires a separate DBU Supplemental Application, but not a new FAFSA.

Summer Aid

Applying for summer aid is not part of any renewal of the aid process. Eligibility for Summer assistance is determined by submission of the DBU Summer Supplemental and the prior year FAFSA results. It is not part of the renewal of the aid process.

Summer Aid Note: There could be little to no loan funds left for summer classes if a student has elected to use their annual loan limits during the Fall and Spring terms. It is always wise to limit borrowing to just what is needed to supplement costs for each term of enrollment.

Are there priority dates or deadlines for Financial Aid?

Priority Dates

Priority Dates exist because some aid programs have limited funds available and are awarded on a first come, first served basis. However, the Office of Financial Aid makes every effort to provide funds to students as long as funds are available. If the priority date is not met, the student's application will still be processed. However, because some funds are limited, a student may not receive the maximum amount that could be available to students who have completed financial aid files by this date.

File Complete Dates are critical dates to keep as they ensure financial aid is in place before the semester begins. These are the best last day of a current term to submit paperwork to ensure funding for that term.

Fall and Spring Semesters
  • Priority Date of March 15 – a financial aid file should be completed by this time in order to receive maximum consideration for Federal or State financial aid for the Fall and Spring semesters of the upcoming year.
  • Priority Date of March 15 is the priority date for continuing students to complete scholarship applications for anticipated enrollment in the upcoming Fall semester.
Summer Semesters
  • March 15 is also the priority date for students wishing to be awarded for the Summer award period. To be considered for Summer assistance, a DBU Summer Supplemental Application must be submitted by this date. Because Summer is separate from the standard academic year, eligible enrollment must fit into attendance patterns that include at least one-half of the Summer. New students beginning with DBU in a Summer term must also have a FAFSA completed and submitted to DBU.

To be considered for and awarded for the fullest amount of financial aid available students should:

  • Complete all financial aid applications at least thirty (30) days prior to registration for the academic award period in which aid is desired.
  • Applications completed after this time cannot be guaranteed to be awarded by registration.
  • Applications received later than that will be reviewed but cannot be guaranteed to be awarded within the semester.
  • Funding may not be available if documents are submitted in a timely manner.


Of both financial aid applications required to be reviewed for financial aid, only the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) has a true deadline. The FAFSA deadline is midnight of June 30 for the preceding years (i.e., June 30, 2018 for the 2017-2018 awarding year). Corrections for that same academic year must be made by midnight of September 15.

Financial aid review for awarding and aid posted can only be done after the receipt of a completed FAFSA and a DBU Supplemental Application for Federal Student Aid.

On occasion, a student's record is selected for verification. This is a process most often requested by the Department of Education to review the student's submitted FAFSA data for errors or inconsistencies. In this case, all required documentation and corrected FAFSA information must be received before the application process is complete. Only when these are done is a student's financial aid file considered full and complete and ready to be reviewed for all aid for which they may be eligible.

Learn about Verification >>

For financial aid programs in which need is the factor in determining eligibility, the Federal Pell Grant is posted first.

After the Federal Pell Grant, other Federal and State programs are posted. Followed by institutional aid.

Next, Financial Aid will post any gift aid, such as outside scholarships and Church Gift, with any eligible Matching Grants.

After these sources have been applied, then additional awards are packaged from self-help types of aid, such as student employment and loans.

When eligibility for all other funds has been exhausted or when all other funds for which the student is deemed eligible have been awarded, loans will be awarded to fill the remaining unmet need.

Programs that have limited funds available for awards will be awarded based on the completed application date. Once all available funds are awarded, eligible students will be placed on a waitlist should additional funds become available. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the semester. No retroactive applications are allowed past the end of an enrollment period.

Once the awarding process is completed an Award Letter emailed/mailed to the student, as well as posted to WebAdvisor (which may be viewed if the student is registered). This Award Letter contains the names and amounts of the financial aid awards the student was deemed eligible to receive. The Award Letter notice also contains some instructions, as well as important information about restrictions and conditions that can affect the ability of the student to receive the amounts awarded. It should be read carefully.

Any questions or need for additional instruction or information should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid via phone at 214-333-5363 or email at

Determination of Financial Aid

After the Office of Financial Aid has received a student's FAFSA information and DBU Supplemental Application for Financial Aid, the student's financial need and types of awards for which he/she qualifies may then be determined. 

The Office of Financial Aid, working within the Federal government's policies set to measure need, determines the student's "financial need" using the following formula:


[Cost of Attendance (tuition, room, board, books, fees, and other expenses)]
- [Family Contribution or EFC as calculated by the Federal Government]
= [Financial Need, or the amount of need-based aid a student may receive]

If a student is determined to demonstrate financial need, the Office of Financial Aid then makes every effort to assist the student in meeting his/her determined financial need using all resources available. Both need-based and non-need based aid–in the form of Federal and State programs, as well as institutional aid–could be available to meet that need.

Financial Aid Counselors are available to discuss any question a student or his/her family may have regarding the student's or family's financial situation.

Can refunds be affected by my enrollment status?

Students receiving Federal aid, other than Federal Work-Study funds, who withdraw or change enrollment status (increase or decrease semester hours taken) will have Federal aid adjusted in accordance with formulas prescribed by the Federal Title IV Program, or DBU policy, whichever is applicable.

Eligibility for a refund depends on several factors and will be determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Changes in any of these factors, such as dropping courses or withdrawing from the University, could result in delays in receiving a refund or the reduction of the student's aid package, thereby removing a potential credit balance.

What if I withdraw from DBU?

A student who withdraws from the University receives only the balance that remains, if any, after the appropriate refund calculation has been performed by the Office of Financial Aid and according to the Federally mandated Return of Federal Title IV Funds Policy listed below.

What is the Title IV funds policy?

Return of Federal Title IV funds will be distributed according to statutory regulations.

Financial aid recipients who withdraw before 60% of the semester is completed will also be required to return a portion of the Federal financial aid received. For further information, please consult the Office of Financial Aid.

Worksheets/formulas provided by the U.S. Department of Education will be used to determine the amounts and order of return. If a student's share of the return amount exists, the student will be notified and allowed 45 days from the date of determination to return the funds to the Business Office of the University for deposit into the Federal programs accounts. If the student does not return the amount owed within the 45-day period, the amount of overpayment will be reported to the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) via the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) and the student will be referred to the DOE for resolution of the debt. Unearned aid will be refunded to the appropriate program(s) if necessary based on these regulations.

A. Funds to be Returned

Dallas Baptist University returns unearned funds received from Federal student assistance programs to the proper program accounts or lenders in accordance with Federal Title IV student assistance regulations, as amended, under 34 CFR, section 668.22(d) of the Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

The student receiving assistance from Federal Title IV programs is required to complete a minimum number of hours for which assistance was received. If the student completely withdraws from school during the semester or stops attending, but fails to officially withdraw, the student may be required to return the unearned part of the funds received to help pay educational expenses for the semester. Liability for the return of Federal Title IV funds will be determined according to the following guidelines:

  • If the student remains enrolled and attends class beyond the 60% mark of the semester in which aid is received, all Federal aid is considered earned and not subject to this policy.
  • If the student completely withdraws from all classes before completing 60% of the semester, a pro-rated portion of the Federal aid received must be returned to the Federal aid programs equal to the percentage of the semester remaining.
  • If the student does not officially withdraw from classes and stops attending all classes, a pro-rated portion of the Federal aid received, based on the documented last date of attendance, must be returned to the Federal aid programs. If the college is unable to document the last date of attendance, one-half of all Federal aid received during the semester must be returned to the Federal aid programs.

If the student owes money to the University or to one of the financial aid programs in the form of repayment, the Office of Financial Aid or the Cashier's Office will notify the student.

B. Funds to be Disbursed

When a student officially or unofficially withdraws, the Office of Financial Aid will determine if the student is entitled to a post-withdrawal disbursement. Post-withdrawal disbursement occurs when the student receives less Federal student aid than the amount earned (based on withdrawal date). DBU will then offer, in writing, disbursement of the earned aid that was not received. All post-withdrawal disbursement offers will be made within 30 days of the date DBU determined that the student withdrew.

Eligibility Guidelines

Institutional Scholarships

Recipients of Institutional Scholarships should be:

Additional eligibility requirements may exist for each specific award; please check the scholarship section for more information.

Federal or State Financial Assistance

Students seeking Federal or State assistance must be eligible for Federal or State financial assistance by meeting the guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education, the State of Texas and:

  • Successfully complete (in a timely manner) the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and any other documentation required in this application process;
  • Possess a valid Social Security Number (SSN). SSN matches are conducted by the government processor for each applicant for Federal aid programs;
  • Be registered for Selective Service, if male and required to do so. Federal or State financial aid cannot be disbursed until the Office of Financial Aid receives notification that the student has successfully registered with Selective Service;
  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or other eligible non-citizen. (Check with the Office of Financial Aid for details);
  • Be a degree-seeking, non-transient student enrolled in a degree-granting eligible program for the purpose of obtaining a degree, or certificate;
  • Enrolled in an eligible pattern of enrollment. In most cases, this means enrolled in at least one long semester class. (Check with the Office of Financial Aid for details);
  • Fully admitted to the University. Students admitted to the University on a conditional basis (incomplete admission file) may be awarded financial aid, but no aid will be disbursed until the student completes his/her admission file;
  • In good standing and making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree and not on Financial Aid Suspension;
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED. Students who have successfully completed at least two years of college-level work that is acceptable for full credit toward a baccalaureate degree at DBU may also be eligible to apply for Federal aid. Students completing their high school education in a home school environment may also be eligible to apply for Federal financial aid under certain conditions. (See the Office of Financial Aid for more information.);
  • Not owe a refund on grants previously received under the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, or the Leveraged Educational Assistance Grant.
  • Not be enrolled and receiving aid at another school concurrently;
  • Not be in default (or delinquent) on any educational loan programs with the State or Federal government, or have borrowed in excess of the loan limits on Federal loan programs;
  • Also...for Federal programs, be enrolled at least halftime during the Fall, Spring, or Summer terms. Halftime at DBU is defined as six (6) semester hours for Undergraduate and 4.5 hours per semester for Graduate students. Some students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant may be enrolled in fewer than six hours and still receive this grant.
  • For State programs, students must be enrolled full-time.

Visiting (or transient) students at DBU who are pursuing degrees at other colleges are not eligible for financial aid.

Transfer and Professional Studies Students

To receive Federal or State Financial Assistance Transfer and Professional Studies students must meet all of the above requirements, as well as the following standards for admittance to DBU.

Transfer and professional studies students desiring to receive Federal or State financial aid must be admitted to the University under one of the following standards as set forth by the U.S. Department of Education:

  • An official high school transcript from an accredited high school which denotes that a diploma was received through graduation; or,
  • A General Education Development Certificate (GED); or,
  • An academic transcript showing successful completion of at least a two-year degree program that is acceptable for full credit toward the student's anticipated degree at DBU.

Yes. When awarding the Office of Financial Aid attempts to award students using the most current enrollment information available. So a student’s current enrollment, changes in enrollment and the timing of these changes can all affect aid eligibility and amounts, as well as tuition charges. We encourage all students to be familiar with this important information as it may heavily affect both charges and aid.

Students who drop or withdraw from any classes (who cease to be enrolled full-time) may be subject to an adjustment of previously awarded aid based on eligibility requirements for each individual Federal and State, or institutional award eligibility, requirements and policy criteria. Students are cautioned that dropping classes after being awarded on a full-time basis may affect their eligibility for certain types of aid.

The estimated amounts for scholarships and grants that are paid per semester hour will be adjusted to the actual number of hours enrolled at registration. Awards offered in set amounts may, in some cases, be pro-rated for enrollment that is less than full-time.

Since financial aid rules can be complex and can vary by the particular type(s) of financial aid we encourage students to contact our office ahead of considered changes to classes or enrollment.

For the purposes of Financial Aid budgeting and awarding:

For Undergraduate Students:

  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least twelve (12) credit hours or more during a semester or term (Fall, Spring and/or Summer) to be considered full-time.
  • Undergraduate students taking nine (9) to eleven (11) credit hours are considered to be attending three-quarter time during a semester or term (Fall or Spring semester or Summer term), and
  • Undergraduate students taking six (6) to eight (8) credit hours are considered to be attending halftime during a semester or term (Fall or Spring semester or Summer term).

For Graduate/Master's Level Students:

  • Graduate students must be enrolled in at least nine (9) credit hours or more during a semester or term (Fall, Spring and/or Summer) to be considered full-time.
  • Note: Doctoral students are full time at 6 hours

For purposes of estimating award amounts on the award notification letter, expected full-time enrollment for undergraduate students is 15 hours per semester, for Graduate students, it is 9 hours per semester, and for Doctoral students, 6 hours of enrollment per semester is considered full-time.

In general, financial aid can only be used to help pay for coursework that is used to meet degree requirements (this includes major, electives and general education requirements). Students should always contact the Office of Financial Aid for information on how academic actions such as add/drops, withdrawals, and other enrollment status considerations may affect aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Dallas Baptist University has established the following minimum standards and practices for Federal financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for students to be eligible for and continue to receive Federal financial aid. DBU uses this SAP policy to review students at the end of each payment period (Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters) after grades for that semester have been posted. DBU's SAP policy was amended in 2011 to comply with Federal regulations regarding SAP effective that year.

Please note that some State and institutional aid programs may have higher academic requirements; eligibility for those financial aid programs is subject to the requirements of each program.

Cumulative GPA (CGPA) for students enrolled using a catalog prior to the Fall 2009 semester is based on institutional and accepted transfer credits. CGPA for students enrolled using a catalog for the Fall 2009 semester or later is based ONLY on institutionally earned credit hours. To be in compliance with Federal, State, or institutional student aid programs we must apply qualitative and quantitative measurements to academic work.

Federal and Institutional Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be reviewed at the end of each Fall, Spring, and Summer semester, and will be based on the student achieving both a qualitative standard and a quantitative standard, as defined below:

  • Qualitative Standard–Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA): Undergraduate students must maintain a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.0 for all course work completed. Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 CGPA for all course work completed.
  • Quantitative Standard–Pace of Progression: Pace of progression is determined by dividing the cumulative number of credit hours successfully completed by the cumulative number of credit hours attempted, including transfer hours that have been accepted. Undergraduate students must maintain a pace of progression of 66.67% for all course work attempted, including transfer credits. Graduate students must maintain a pace of progression so that they graduate within six years of beginning their degree program, as outlined in the academic catalog for the year that the student first enrolled.
  • Program Completion Time Frame: Undergraduate students may receive financial aid if they otherwise qualify, if they have not yet attempted 150% of the hours required for their degree program (usually 189 hours). Graduate students may receive financial aid if they have not yet been enrolled in their current degree program for six or more academic years (see the appropriate academic catalog for the year in which the student enrolled). Attempted hours include all transferred credits and all DBU courses passed, failed, repeated, or withdrawn.

If a student meets ALL of the above standards, the student will receive an SAP status of SATISFACTORY and will be able to continue receiving Federal and institutional aid at DBU.

If a student fails to meet one or more of the above standards the student will be placed on one of three financial aid SAP statuses described here:

  • Warning status: If the student was previously under a Satisfactory SAP status, the student’s status will be moved to a WARNING status for one semester, meaning that the student is being warned that he/she is not meeting SAP eligibility and has one semester to correct his/her eligibility before being placed on financial aid suspension. During this semester, the student will continue to be able to receive financial aid. A Warning status cannot be appealed since students are still eligible to receive financial assistance.
  • Probation status: If a student is placed on financial aid suspension, he/she has the option of appealing this suspension through the SAP appeal process. If the appeal is granted, the student will be placed on financial aid probation for the next semester, and he/she must bring his/her SAP eligibility to Satisfactory during that semester or be placed on financial aid suspension. While on probation, the student may continue to receive Federal, State, and institutional aid if he/she is otherwise eligible.
  • Suspension status: If the student was previously under a Warning or Probation SAP status and fails to meet SAP eligibility requirements during the next semester, the student’s status will be moved to a SUSPENSION status and he/she will NOT be able to receive Federal, State, or institutional financial aid during the next semester he/she attends. Students who are placed on financial aid suspension may appeal this decision by completing the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Process (see below).

Financial aid satisfactory academic progress eligibility is different from academic probation or suspension. Students who are on financial aid suspension may be allowed to register for and attend classes in future semesters if they are not also on academic suspension. Please check with the Registrars Office for more information.

Regaining Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Eligibility

  • Students who are placed on financial aid suspension for not maintaining the required SAP eligibility standards for cumulative GPA must complete courses at DBU at their own expense to regain their eligibility for financial aid. Students who are placed on financial aid suspension for not maintaining the required SAP eligibility standards for pace of progression must complete, at their own expense, courses at DBU, or courses that transfer in from an accredited institution.
  • Students who are placed on financial aid suspension because they have not met the program completion time frame requirements and have reached the maximum number of hours or time frame allowed to complete their degree program may not regain eligibility to receive financial aid. In order to complete a degree program and graduate from DBU, the student will have to complete those courses without receiving Federal financial assistance. If the student feels that these calculations are incorrect, they may contact the Director of Financial Aid and ask for a formal review of eligibility.
  • After the student has completed sufficient coursework to remove the suspension status, he/she must submit the Suspension Evaluation or Appeal Request form to the financial aid office to formally request a review of his/her status. See below for instructions on downloading this form.

Evaluations will be completed after grades are posted for each of the following enrollment periods:

  • Fall Reporting Period (including all terms and mini-terms associated with the Fall semester)
  • Spring Reporting Period (including all terms and mini-terms associated with the Spring semester)
  • Summer Reporting Period (including all terms and mini-terms associated with the Summer semester)

Appeal Process

A student who has been placed on financial aid suspension for not meeting the required SAP guidelines may appeal his/her suspension if there were unusual or extenuating circumstances that contributed to the student’s failure to meet these guidelines. If the appeal is granted, the student will be placed on an SAP Probation status and will be allowed to receive financial aid for the next semester only (see “Probation status” above).

To make the appeal, the student should follow the steps outlined on and submit the Satisfactory form. All appeal requests will be reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid and, if necessary, reviewed by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Committee. All individuals granted an appeal are normally placed on one-semester probation status or placed on a financial aid academic plan (see below). All appeal decisions are final. Students will be notified in writing as to the decision regarding their financial aid appeal.

The appeal request must include a statement from the student regarding what has changed or what they will do differently that will allow them to meet SAP guidelines in the future. If a student makes more than one appeal request, each appeal must be for a different reason. See the Suspension Evaluation or Appeal Request form for more information.

Financial Aid Academic Plan

If a student is placed on suspension, and successfully appeals the decision, but the student’s academic situation is such that is would be mathematically impossible for him/her to regain SAP eligibility during the next semester as required by Federal SAP guidelines, DBU may, at its sole discretion, place the student on a financial aid academic plan. This plan will be designed to outline steps of progress that, if followed by the student each semester, will lead to SAP eligibility being regained at a specific time in the future. If a student does not meet these progressive steps each semester, he/she will immediately be placed on financial aid suspension.

Other Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Guidelines

  • Dual Enrollment: A student may not receive Federal aid from more than one institution at the same time. A student transferring to DBU from another institution must have their aid canceled at the former institution. A "Cancellation of Aid” form may be required.
  • Repeat Courses: Students may receive Federal financial aid for repeat courses in which a previous grade of "F" was received. For courses in which a student received a passing grade, Federal financial aid will pay for these courses once only. Funding for remedial courses (i.e. MATH 1101) may only be repeated once. If a student registers for a course in which he/she has previously received a grade of "D" or higher, an evaluation of the student’s history taking that course will be made and aid will be paid accordingly. Institutional scholarships cannot be applied toward any repeat courses regardless of the course grade or status.
  • Incomplete grades: Courses in which a grade of "I" is received will affect a student’s pace of progression and may lead to the student being placed on financial aid warning or suspension. Once the student has completed the course(s), he/she may request an evaluation to re-assess his/her SAP status using the Suspension Evaluation or Appeal Request form.
  • Second Bachelor's Degree: Not all financial aid programs are available to students seeking a second bachelor’s degree, including accredited and non-accredited degrees. Students should see their financial aid counselor for more information.
  • Support Services: Student Services are available to help ensure a student’s academic success.
    • Counseling services are available free of charge to DBU students by contacting 214-333-5288.
    • The Writing Center is available to assist students in the writing and construction of papers. Contact them at 214-333-5474.
    • The DBU Library is available to help students with research. Contact them at 214-333-5213.
    • Tutoring services are available by calling 214-333-6843. Students with disabilities can contact the Office of Student Affairs at 214-333-5134 or to make accommodations for their disability.