Secondary Teacher Certification
Students planning to be certified to teach Grades 7-12 will secure a major in either biology, English, history, mathematics, natural science, or speech communication. The interdisciplinary academic major for Grades 7-12 is available for:
- English Language Arts and Reading 7-12 (English Major)
- History 7-12
- Life Science 7-12 (Biology Major)
- Mathematics 7-12
- Science 7-12 (Natural Sciences Major)
- Speech 7-12 (Communication Studies Major)
- Computer Science 8-12
To be eligible for Texas certification, students will also follow the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) standards for Grades 7-12. Students follow a course of study which includes the following components:
- General Studies
- Professional Responsibility
- Major in either biology, English, history, mathematics, natural sciences, or speech communication
- Sufficient electives to complete the 120-credit-hour minimum for the bachelor's degree, which includes 42 upper-level credit hours.
Students must be admitted into the Educator Preparation Program according to the policies set by the College of Education.
Retention in the Educator Preparation Program
Students must maintain and graduate with an overall institutional GPA of 3.0 and must maintain and graduate with an institutional GPA of 3.0 in their teaching fields/academic concentrations.