Elementary Teacher Certification 4-8
Students planning to be certified to teach Grades 4 through Grade 8 will secure an interdisciplinary academic major and meet the appropriate general studies requirements. The interdisciplinary academic major for Grades 4-8 is available for:
- English Language Arts and Reading (Interdisciplinary Academic)
- Mathematics (Interdisciplinary Academic)
- Science (Interdisciplinary Academic)
To be eligible for Texas certification, students complete course requirements that follow the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) standards for Grades 4-8. Students follow a course of study which includes the following components:
- General Studies Requirements (These courses are listed at the top of each degree plan.)
- Professional Responsibility
- Interdisciplinary Academic Major
- Sufficient electives to complete the 120-credit-hour minimum for the bachelor's degree, which includes 42 upper-level credit hours.
Students must be admitted into the Educator Preparation Program according to the policies set by the College of Education.
Retention in the Educator Preparation Program
Students must maintain and graduate with an overall institutional GPA of 3.0 and must maintain and graduate with an institutional GPA of 3.0 in their teaching fields/academic concentrations.