Master of Arts in Discipleship and Master of Business Administration Dual Degree Program
Shelly Melia, Ph.D., M.A. in Discipleship Program Director
Sandra Reid, Ph.D., M.B.A. Program Director
The role of the church leader continues to grow in complexity as the concept of the global community expands. The pressure to operate as a business with scarce resources is a reality that cannot be ignored. Many predict that the real mission fields in the future will be through business leaders as they work in the United States, Europe, and third world countries, heightening the demand to blend theological knowledge and training with business theory and application.
Prospective students from the ministry will pursue this dual degree to obtain and strengthen the skills and competencies needed to be effective in church leadership roles such as executive pastor, division leader, church planter, and/or global ministry. In addition, while the vast majority of students admitted to this unique, dual degree program may already be serving in a ministry or believe they are called to serve, students include those who have started a business career and subsequently sense a call to the ministry.
In order to pursue a Dual Master's Degree program, the applicant must apply to, meet the existing admission requirements for, and be accepted into each of the master's degrees which comprise the dual degree program.
Note: Church Membership Requirement (for Admission into the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership—all concentrations, Ph.D. in Leadership Studies’ Ministry Concentration, Master’s Ministry Degrees, and Advanced Ministry Certificate Programs): Within the last 12 months the applicant must have been an active member of a Christian church that holds Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and who holds solely the Old Testament and the New Testament as sacred Scripture. Click for Church Membership form
Prerequisite course work must be satisfied for both degree programs.
M.A. in Discipleship
- Old Testament Survey or THEO 5307 Old Testament Literature and Interpretation;
- New Testament Survey or THEO 5308 New Testament Literature and Interpretation;
- 3000/4000 Level Religion Course or 5000/6000 Level Theology Course
- Accounting I and II or ACCT 5311 Survey of Accounting
- Business and Public Law or MANA 51.522 Business Legal Environment
- Microeconomics and Macroeconomics or ECON 5311 Managerial Economics
- Financial Management or FINA 51.521 Foundations of Finance
- Principles of Management or MANA 51.521 Management Theory
- Principles of Marketing or MRKT 51.521 Marketing Concepts
- Statistics or MANA 6303 Research and Statistics
- BUAD 5301 Orientation to American Business Technology and Culture (for International Students only)
Prerequisites may be met with equivalent courses from another institution and do not count toward degree completion.
Continuance in the program past the first 12 hours is pending submission of a satisfactory score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Examinations® (GRE®).
- 30 hrs
- Required Curriculum M.A. in Discipleship
- 30 hrs
- Required Curriculum M.B.A.
- 60 hrs
- Total Dual Degree (excluding prerequisites)
- ACCT 6321
- Managerial Accounting
- FINA 6301
- Corporate Finance
- MANA 6302
- Quantitative Analysis for Managers
- MANA 6310
- Leadership in Management
- MANA 6320
- Business Ethics
- MISM 6314
- Management Information Systems
- MRKT 6301
- Creative Problem Solving for Marketing Decisions (S-L)
- MANA 6341
- Strategic Management Decisions (Capstone) (S-L)
Select two courses from M.B.A. Concentrations with approval of Program Director or Academic Advisor. Six (6) hours of the M.A. in Discipleship Required Curriculum serve as electives for the M.B.A Required Curriculum.
M.A. in Discipleship
(30 hours - excluding prerequisites)
- DISC 5302
- Biblical Servant Leadership
- DISC 6301
- Christian Education in the Local Church
- DISC 6302
- Biblical Strategies for Discipleship
- DISC 6307
- Church and Business Administration
- DISC 6308
- Disciple-Making Through Evangelism and Missions
- GSOM 6310
- Ministry Mentorship (S-L)
- THEO 5313
- Applied Hermeneutics
- THEO 6305
- Christian History and Heritage
- THEO 6306
- Systematic Theology
- WORS 6303
- Spiritual Formation and Worship
Six (6) hours of the M.B.A. Required Curriculum serve as electives for the M.A. in Discipleship Required Curriculum.
(S-L) = Course(s) with field-based service-learning component