DBU Celebrates 50 Years in Dallas

Anniversary sign

On October 1, 1965, Dallas Baptist College held its first day of classes. On September 30, 2015, 50 years later, Dallas Baptist University held a special anniversary chapel service to commemorate this milestone.

Founded in 1898 as Decatur Baptist College in Wise County, the school relocated to Dallas in 1965 and opened its doors that fall to 945 students.

DBU Chancellor, Dr. Gary Cook, spoke of the Lord's faithfulness to DBU over the last 50 years, as students, faculty, and staff gathered together for worship in Pilgrim Chapel. A moving video depicting the campus in 1965 was played during the service and served as a visual indication of the Lord's provision over DBU. Scripture and prayer also filled the service, delivered by members of DBU staff. Dr. Adam Wright, vice president and dean of the Cook School of Leadership, shared Philippians 2:5-11 and prayed over the University, while Dr. Gail Linam, academic dean, read John 3:16-17 and Jeremiah 29:11-13. The students, faculty, and staff also had the treat of hearing Legacy, a student choir led by Ron Bowles, dean of the DBU College of Fine Arts, perform two songs, one of which directly reflected DBU's theme verse, Jeremiah 29:11, through its lyrics.

In the midst of reflecting on the past, Dr. Cook also made mention of the future of DBU, stating that it is the goal of DBU to pass on a love for the Lord to the next generation and remain true to its mission to produce servant leaders and its vision to be a Christ-centered institution that is pleasing to God.

Written by Courtney Hackett

Courtney Hackett (Smith) served as the Assistant to the Vice President for Communications in the University Communications division at DBU.

Share this Post: