Elementary Teacher Certification Core Subjects EC-12 (Interdisciplinary Academic)
Students planning to acquire EC-12 certification may do so by securing a major in either Music (Choral) or Physical Education (Kinesiology Major). The interdisciplinary academic major for EC-12 is available for:
- Choral Music (EC-12 Music Education Certification)
- Kinesiology (EC-12 Physical Education Certification)
To be eligible for Texas certification, students will also follow the EC-12 certification program designed to provide certification for Early Childhood through Grade 12 under the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) standards. Students follow a course of study which includes the following components:
- General Studies
- Professional Responsibility
- An academic major in either music or kinesiology.
- Sufficient electives to complete the bachelor's degree, if applicable.
Students must be admitted into the Educator Preparation Program according to the policies set by the College of Education.
Retention in the Educator Preparation Program
Students must maintain and graduate with an overall institutional GPA of 3.0 and must maintain and graduate with an institutional GPA of 3.0 in their teaching fields/academic concentrations.