Admission to the Educator Preparation Program
First Year and transfer students are encouraged to declare their intention to work toward educator certification as early as possible after enrolling at DBU. A College of Education advisor counsels with each student individually to develop a semester-by-semester degree plan to assure proper sequence of courses. Teacher Candidates wishing to officially enter the Educator Preparation Program should make application to the program during the spring semester of the sophomore year (after 45 semester hours). Applications to the program will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Required level of performance on all three sections of the THEA test with minimum scores of 260 on the reading section, and 240 on each of the writing and math sections.
- An application of petition filed with the College of Education requesting admission to the Educator Preparation Program.
- Completion of an interview with a College of Education faculty member.
- Three letters of recommendation must be submitted: (1) from the College of Education and (2) from their content area.
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours with a minimum overall Grade Point Average of 3.0 and a minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average in the teaching field/academic concentration at the time of application to the program. The 3.0 GPA criteria must be maintained to remain in the program. Transfer students must meet these same requirements and apply after a semester of residence at DBU.
- Prior to application to the Educator Certification Program, a degree plan must be selected by the student and a College of Education advisor and filed with the Registrar.
- Evidence of the personal qualities and characteristics desired in a teacher as judged by the Educator Preparation Program Committee.
- Completion of the admission interview with the EPP Committee.
- Signed Revised Code of Ethics and Standard Practices for Texas Educators must be kept in the student file.
- Math and Science certification majors must have completed 15 credit hours in their content field prior to admission to the Educator Preparation Program. All other content areas must have completed 12 credit hours in their content field prior to admission to the Education Preparation Program.
- Upon receipt of a letter of admission to the Educator Preparation Program, candidate must provide a written response acknowledging the acceptance of admittance to the program.
Teacher Candidates admitted to the Educator Preparation Program are required to attend a minimum of ten Student Education Association (SEA) meetings before graduation. Teacher Candidates transferring to DBU with 60-89 semester hours are required to have eight SEA attendances, while those with 90 or more hours need six attendances. A record of SEA attendances is maintained in the Teacher Candidate's file to determine eligibility for certification.
Teacher Candidates pursuing a major involving educator certification are required to compile a professional ePortfolio. The ePortfolio allows Teacher Candidates to present information about themselves as learners and to document growth over a period of time. The ePortfolio is a collection of artifacts and self-reflections which are completed in various education courses. The ePortfolio is completed during the semester just prior to the student teaching semester.
(S-L) = Course(s) with field-based service-learning component.